What is a Diesel Generator?
A diesel generator is used to generate electric energy by using a diesel engine along with an electric generator. A diesel generator can be used as an emergency power supply in case of power cuts or in places where there is no connection with the power grid.
Types of Diesel Generators
Diesel generators are available in various sizes, models and designs that are manufactured by many companies. So before buying a diesel generator, here are the different types that you should know about.
Industrial or Residential
– Industrial generators are generally large in size and can provide a great deal of power for a long period of time. As the name suggests, they are generally used in industries where power demand is high. On the other hand, residential generators are small in size and provide power up to a specific range. They are ideal for use in households, small shops and offices.
Air cooled or Water cooled
– Air-cooled generators rely on air to provide the cooling function for the generator. No additional part, except for an air intake system is used. Water cooled generators rely on water for cooling and comprise of a separate system for achieving this function. Water cooled generators require more maintenance than air-cooled generators.
– The power output range of diesel generators is very wide and can be classified accordingly. A 3 kVA diesel generator can be used to run power tools or appliances such as ACs, computers, multiple ceiling fans, etc. They are suitable for use in small offices, shops and houses. Whereas a 2000 kVA diesel generator would be suitable for use in big industries or places with high power demand.
Specifications to keep in focus while buying Diesel Generator
– It is important to know the requirement of the home/enterprise before buying a diesel generator. According to the need of a place, generators ranging from 2.5 kVA to more than 2000 kVA can be used.
– Diesel generators are available for both single phase and three phase connections. Find out if your home/enterprise has a single phase or three phase connection and choose a suitable generator accordingly.
– Fuel consumption is one of the most important things to be kept in mind while buying a diesel generator. Find out the fuel consumption of the generator per hour and per kVA (or kW) and also the fuel efficiency it provides with respect to the load.
Control systems and power management systems
– Generators with the ability to automatically transfer power from the grid to the generator during a power cut and vice versa, display warning (low fuel and other performance issues) along with providing a broad range of analysis data, helps increase the efficiency of the diesel generator. The power management system helps to optimize the fuel consumption and the performance of the generator with respect to load demand.
Portability and Size
– A generator with a set of wheels or those provided with slots for easy lifting helps reduce the hassle of transportation. Also, keep in mind the size of the generator with respect to the space available to keep it.
– High noise emission can be a problem if the generator is kept in close proximity. Noise absorption technology is provided in some diesel generators which highly reduces the noise emitted by it.
Post time: Apr-19-2021